- It is a building that is designed for controlling light, temperature, and moisture.
- Growing plants which are foreign to your residential location.
- Raising specialty plants.
I would guess that the idea of a greenhouse came about because people needed a method of growing edibles in a protected area away from blistering heat or extremely cold temperatures. They were probably disappointed when large animals, small critters, and bugs ate their crops. It appears survival was the motivation for devising methods to safely grow vegetation.The improvement of building materials, electricity, plumbing and ingenuity has made the greenhouse essential for amateur and professional gardeners. Residential and commercial growers enjoy the benefits and rewards of this horticultural aid.
Greenhouses are made from all types of building materials. This includes wood, concrete, stone, brick, plastic, aluminum, and steel, The choice of materials will vary according to the needs of residential or commercial users. Other considerations would be location, weather, and size.
What plants will you be growing?
- Plants from the four seasons of the year?
- Plants which grow in different types of geographical locations?
- Will you be growing fruits, vegetables, tropical, desert, air, or water plants?
- Are you considering shrubs and trees?
- Do you have an interest in miniatures, grafting, or experimental?
Greenhouses range in size from mini to very large. There are diy kits, easy assemble, or structures which need professional assembling and installation.
The benefits allow for enjoyment of gardening.
- Easy access to the greenhouse.
- Plants may be placed on shelves or hanging from wood beams, metal, or plastic structures.
- Garden any time of the day or night.
- Comfortable temperatures for plants and for the gardener.
- Fans, heater, air conditioning, vents, plumbing, electricity, and water availability make for pleasant working conditions.
- Hand tools
- Work bench
- Raised beds for comfort and easy access
Read about free standing greenhouses