The dancer stretches, tightens and releases, flexes and contracts, and vibrates muscle tissues in order to accomplish the various movements from selected areas of the body. While interpreting the rhythms she is burning body fat, toning, slenderizing, and developing muscles for personalized physical fitness. There is so much fun having the body freely move and respond to the exotic music that a person wants to keep dancing.
Benefits of muscle strength:
- The walking, skipping, sliding and shuffling movements offer bone strengthening for feet, ankles, and legs.
- Shoulder, chest, and arm movement strengthen bones of the upper spine.
- Abdominal movements condition the center area of the spine
- Pelvic tucks and other similar movements strengthen the muscles of the lower spine.
- Strengthening the spinal muscles affords flexibility and corrects spinal alignment ensuring good posture.
- Working the muscles helps to burn fat resulting in a lean and toned body.
Another fun part of belly dancing for physical fitness is wearing the bra, belt, hip scarf, a pair of harem pants or a skirt, it will make you feel beautiful as the movements are being performed. However, the major reason for wearing these items as practice garments is to be able to see and correct dance movements.
The dancer's best friend while exercising is her mirror.