Belly dancing is a dance by women, with women, and for women. It celebrates all that is feminine and therefore it brings women together. Age is not a factor, neither are shapes and sizes. This dance allows women to be at their best as they share mutual feminine interests with other females. Unlike many other dance forms which have much competition, women attracted to belly dancing are more than happy to help other women to advance themselves.
Benefits of belly dancing:
- Burns body fat and tones muscles – Lose weight
- Helps you keep your curves in their proper places
- It’s a dance of endurance which is an asset to the cardiovascular system
- Strengthens flexibility and toning of muscles
- Preparation for easier delivery at childbirth
- Acceptance of your body type
- Builds confidence and self-esteem
The independence for unlimited creativity and imagination is like trying to bottle the wind. This freedom for freelance dancing is what makes belly dancing so much fun and exciting.
Before taking classes research your potential instructor for the type of belly dancing she teaches. If you are in doubt as to where to start, it is still wise to learn Turkish style or Egyptian style of cabaret dancing first. Follow with Middle Eastern cultural dances, then expose yourself to the newer forms. Specialize in one form at a time. Taking two or three different styles will only cause confusion.
If possible: take a sample class. Teaching styles will vary from lighthearted to serious teaching. Your sincerity of interest and practice schedule will have much to do with your decision. Ask others who are taking classes of their favorite teachers and why they liked their classes.
Other Benefits of Belly Dancing:
- Wearing beautiful costumes
- No need for a dance partner
- Being able to become an entertainer and dancing professional