Collecting dolls often starts in childhood; however some adults develop an interest in gathering dolls for personal or business reasons. The dolls may be do-it-yourself projects with materials found in the home or environment or purchased within your budget or investment dollars.
Are you interested in dolls as a financial investment? If investment is your motivation, it will be a necessity to study and research. Knowledge will be essential for financial success.
The doll’s manufacturer, historical significance, and its physical attributes for cuteness or beauty, celebrity status, popular athletes, famous movie and television stars, metal novelties, reborn, spiritual, ritual, fun and entertainment determines its dollar value. The financial value is often times its perceived value.
Other measures of dollar worth will include:
Love, memories, token of affections, limited quantity, desirability, originality, condition, limited editions, collectible, historic, difficult to locate, limited production, unusual or unique, highly sought after, and rare.
- Know what you want and select cautiously with supported knowledge.
- Do not rush. This helps to avoid mistakes.
- Maintain an inventory in order not to duplicate.
- Relax and enjoy each doll as you add it to your collection.
Types of dolls:
- Antique – American standard 100 years old or before the 18th century
- Contemporary – Barbie Dolls are the most famous
- Celebrity – Shirley Temple is in high demand
- Collectible – a variety of vintage dolls
- Baby – newest trend among women and therapy application
- Children – huge selections
- Ethnic – racial identity
- Paper - inexpensive
- Fashion – a must have for fashion designers
- Vintage – dolls which are 50 years old; however some may be considered antique
- Metal – comic figures are the most popular. Popular with boys and men
- Puppets – performance activity
- Mechanical and Robot – A favorite among boys and men
- Rag – Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
- Wood – Russian matryoshka nesting dolls
- Straw – a non-permanent doll
Dolls are toys for children or working tools for adults. Dolls range in size from miniature to life-size. Construction consists of inventive and innovative methods to create fantasy and fun or working dolls for utility projects.
Read more about collecting dolls at https://hubpages.com/games-hobbies/Collecting-Dolls-As-A-Hobby.